- Founder of SOORYA Stage and Film Society, the biggest cultural society of the World. With chapters in 36 countries across the world, Soorya aims at “Integration through Culture”.
- As per the Limca Book of World Records: (1) Soorya Krishnamoorthy, Man of the Year 2003. (2) Soorya is the largest cultural society of the World. (3) Soorya Festival is the largest an the longest Festival of Asia (365 continuous days).
- President of India’s National Award for Stage Craft and Direction (1996) through the Central Sangeeth Natak Academy, New Delhi & Fellowship of the Kerala Sangeeth Natak Academy (1994).
- The only artiste to be given the highest honour by 3 State Governments, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry. And many more.
- Scripting, choreographing and direction of several mega events like: (1) National Games 1988 inaugural (7000 artistes), valedictory function (3000 artistes); (2) inaugural and the valedictory functions and cultural programmes of the International Film Festival 1997 (Trivandrum) and 1998 (New Delhi); (3) 50th Republic Day Celebrations `Pranam to Mother Earth’ with over 300 folk artistes in (2000). And innumerable others!
- Leadership roles (Culture and the Arts): Member of the National Film Award jury (more than once). and Member of the Kerala State Film Award jury (more than once) and Member of the NFDC (National Film Development Corporation) Script Committee.
In addition to these, Soorya Krishnamoorthy is an acknowledged ambassador and doyen of Indian art and culture and has travelled to innumerable organizations and schools and universities all over the world with lectures on Indian art and culture.
(This is only a very brief summary of a long list of activities, accomplishments and awards that Soorya Krishnamoorthy has achieved in his illustrious and monumental artistic career spanning four and a half decade.)
Soorya is the largest cultural society in Asia based in Trivandrum, the capital city of the state of Kerala in India. Soorya is 45 years old and has made outstanding contribution to the milieu Indian Art, Culture & Cinema. It has chapters in Several countries – New York (USA), London (UK), Manchester (UK), Zurich (Switzerland), Rome (Italy),Vienna (Austria), Koln (Germany), Bahrain, Dubai, Kuwait, Oman, Abu Dhabi, Saudi Arabia and Qatar (Gulf). The total membership in Soorya exceeds 30,000 with 7,000 members in India and 13,000 abroad.
The main activities of Soorya span the entire range of art & culture including organizing classical dance and music festivals, dramas, workshops on theatre, painting, photography, handicrafts and the like, talks, light and sound shows, screening of good films, presenting celebrated film directors, holding their retrospectives, holding seminars and discussions on cinema, with special emphasis on Indian art & culture. Soorya also operates as a platform for the promotion of young talents. The annual 75 day long Soorya India Festival has been adjudged as the largest cultural festival of Asia by the Limca Book of World Records.
Soorya is a non-profit, non-commercial voluntary organization and aims at dissemination of the rich Indian culture and achieving ‘integration through culture’, mainly targetting the common man. For further details, please visit www.sooryaindia.com
Founder of this society is Mr N Krishnamoorthy popularly known as Soorya Krishnamoorthy. In addition to being the chief organizational spirit behind Soorya, he has himself scripted, directed and choreographed several shows and has pioneered the sound and light show as a creative tool to focus on aspects of Indian culture, raising itself to an art form. He is the recipient of many awards and citations including: President of India’s National Award for Stage Craft and Direction, Man of the Year 2003 for his contributions to the field of art and culture by Limca book of Records and more.